Friday, March 02, 2007

Gay Frat Dudes!

I have also been negligent in welcoming Sigma Epsilon Omega to campus. ΣΕΩ is promoting itself as the new Gay fraternity at Berkeley. Although I welcome any attempt to expand the Cal Greek Community and wish the best for the men of Sigma Epsilon Omega, I question whether there is a need for a Gay fraternity on campus.

Most fraternities on campus are accepting of Gay members. In fact, I know of few that do not have openly Gay brothers in their active membership and do know of one that welcomed a transgendered man. When I came out of the closet, my fraternity brothers were among the most accepting people in my life at the time.

More importantly, unlike other living environments including dorms and co-ops, fraternities are values-based organizations. Dorms and Co-ops can benefit from having a random mix of people or a themed living environment. Greek houses, however, are intended to be people of similar values living together in a brotherhood or sisterhood, building familial ties. While Gay people absolutely should be included in these environments, these values transcend sexual orientation. Those that want to live in a Gay themed house should look towards Oscar Wilde House, an apartment or house shared with Gay friends, or the LGBT themed dorm.

I do welcome Sigma Epsilon Omega onto campus and wish them the best of luck. Hopefully, the brothers of that fraternity will develop a brotherhood based on shared values beyond the acceptance of homosexuality. There is always room on campus for another Greek house. Best of Luck!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

not to name any names, but I agree with you that there isn't a need for a gay frat on campus. I can name especially one that is already pretty gay...I know you are a member and I am a member...something that rhymes with hair salon. Oh I want to be a college man again...and maybe a little bit more.

Anonymous said...

Intercombase - Technology translation Documentation any of more than 140 languages. Agricultural Translation, Energy Translation, Pharmaceutical Translation, Scientific Translation - Summit professional work at a reasonable cost .

Hebrew Translation - [url=http://www.intercombase.com]Indonesian[/url]